Layers of London | Layers of London

Hello from our Public Engagement Officer!

by

This week we welcomed our new Public Engagement Officer to the team. Amy will be working with schools, community groups and volunteers to promote the project alongside the Volunteer Co-ordinator who will be starting work on the project shortly.

Amy joins us from a similar role on another Heritage Lottery Fund project, The Kenley Revival Project, which aims to protect and preserve the UK’s best preserved fighter airfield. Amy is a teacher by trade and has a thorough knowledge of a wide range of curricula and has taught in many traditional and non-traditional teaching environments.

Some words from Amy:

I am so excited to be a part of the Layers of London team. It is important for me that heritage is accessible for everyone and this project is a great example of how anyone and everyone can contribute to, engage with and connect with their local heritage. History and heritage has always been a huge passion of mine, if I ever have a spare day I am always in a Museum, watching a new Lucy Worsley documentary or my head is in a Mary Beard book! I love discovering new areas of London and their history and am keen to start exploring and meeting the amazing groups, organisations, schools, volunteers and people that will contribute their knowledge and stories to build up these layers on the website.

I am looking forward to meeting and working with the schools, organisations and volunteers in Barking and Dagenham that have contributed to the project so far and the next steps are to engage with at least 7 other London boroughs by the end of Summer Term 2018. Keep your eyes peeled; we may be coming to a borough near you!

The project will have many interesting and varied volunteer roles and projects within it too and we will need help to reach our goal of engaging all 32 London boroughs to ensure their heritage is represented. We will be recruiting for these roles in the near future but anyone can contribute to the website NOW! I have been reading some amazing contributions already from stories of conscientious objectors in Haringey to where William Blake had his vision of angels in Peckham. As ever, if you are interested in the project and would like to learn more or would like to register your interest in our upcoming regular project newsletter,get in touch at layersoflondon@sas.ac.uk